Jennifer L. Morgan
Editorial Consultant, JM Editorial
Master of Arts in Education - Secondary School Teaching, English
The College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA
Endorsement in Gifted Education
Bachelor of Arts in English, with Distinction in General Scholarship
University of California - Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
Freelance Editorial Experience
Performed copy editing and proofreading for multiple manuscripts for the following clients (for titles, see JM Editorial's Past Projects page):
- ASCD Books, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (Alexandria, VA)
- Parmenides Publishing (Las Vegas, NV)
- Scholarly Resources, Inc. (Wilmington, DE)
- The Lyons Press (New York, NY)
- University of California Press (Berkeley, CA)
- Halfmoon Books (New York, NY)
- Michael Bass Associates (Mill Valley, CA)
In addition, served these functions for the following clients:
The Ross School (East Hampton, NY)
NASA Microgravity Outreach Office (Hampton, VA)
- Acted as curriculum editor, gathering teacher-developed materials and student examples and preparing them for publication.
- Copy edited articles for Microgravity News (later Space Research), a quarterly newsletter chronicling NASA-sponsored scientific activities performed onboard the space shuttle and in other venues.
- Copy edited other publications, including the Microgravity Research Program Annual Report and various web pages.
- Researched and wrote articles for publication on the web concerning NASA-sponsored shuttle experiments in the areas of combustion science, fluid physics, and fundamental physics.
Ark Multimedia Publishing (Hampton, VA)
- Edited text for Microgravity Explorer, an educational CD-ROM for fifth to eighth grade, for scientific, technical, and grammatical accuracy.
- Researched and wrote text describing the International Space Station for use in the CD-ROM.
- Proofread text changes made by CD-ROM contributors.
Tinsley-Metters Communications (Hampton, VA)
- Edited Homecoming magazine, a bimonthly publication targeting the alumni of historically Black colleges and universities.
Other Editorial Experience
NASA Microgravity Outreach Office (Hampton University, Hampton, VA)
Technical Writer, February 1996-August 1998
- Interviewed subjects and conducted research on the Internet to author articles for Microgravity News (see above for a description of this publication).
- Assembled material, written and photographic, for an annual report on NASA's Advanced Technology Development Program and edited submissions for clarity, style, and consistency.
- Coordinated the development of an educational CD-ROM featuring activities in a simulated microgravity environment targeted at fifth- to eighth-grade students.
- Produced written material regarding experiments taking place onboard the space shuttle for informational viewgraphs used in comprehensive presentations by NASA officials.
- Copy edited written material produced by all members of the Microgravity Outreach team for style and consistency.
Earthquake Engineering Research Center Library (Richmond, CA)
Student Clerk, September 1990-December 1992
- Proofread and copy edited the Abstract Journal of Earthquake Engineering.
- Maintained card catalog and prepared for conversion from manual card catalog to online catalog.
Center for Gifted Education (Williamsburg, VA)
Coordinator, Summer Enrichment Program, July 1995-August 1995
Teacher, Summer/Saturday Enrichment Program, "Writing for Fun and Profit," August 1995; "Writers' Workshop," October-November 1996; "Life on the Internet," January-March 1998
The Princeton Review (Williamsburg, VA)
Teacher, SAT and GRE Preparation Courses, June 1994-June 1996
Swem Library, The College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA)
Office Services Specialist, Fiscal Assistant, June 1994-June 1995
Child Development Resources (Lightfoot, VA)
Assistant to the Director of Development, May 1994-July 1995
Skills, Proficiencies, and Other Items of Interest
- Proficient in multiple software packages, especially Microsoft Office programs.
- Experienced with The Chicago Manual of Style and The Associated Press Stylebook; excellent at learning new styles and applying them to documents.
- Attentive to detail at every level.
- Conversant in Spanish and German.
- Expert handcrafter with skills in fiber spinning (using a spinning wheel or spindle), knitting, and pattern design.
- Appeared as a prizewinning contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, August 2000.